'I'm Better off Dead' 11-Year Old Escapes Arranged Marriage (Video) (by TheYoungTurks)
In Performance at the White House | Gary Clark, Jr. “In the Evening” | PBS (by PBS)
Clem Snide - “Find Love” (by CurtS86)
KID PRESIDENT Special SUMMER Report! (by soulpancake)
KID PRESIDENT talks to STEVE CARELL about DESPICABLE ME 2! (by soulpancake)
Senator Wendy Davis is a fucking badass.
There’s this bill that they are trying to pass in Texas that would make it illegal to get any abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy, and would make it very difficult for abortion centers to continue doing what they do. Governor Rick Perry has already said that if the bill makes it to his desk, he will sign it. And Wendy Davis said fuck no that is not happening.
So she’s filibustering it. That means she asked to talk on the subject at 11:18 this morning, and if she can continue talking about abortion until 11:59 tonight, the bill won’t reach Governor Perry, and they would have to start all over with the bill next time they meet- 2 years from now.
But Wendy has to keep talking. She can’t pause for even a minute, not for food or a sip of water or to go to the bathroom or sit down. She can’t even lean up against anything, or she’s out. So she’s wearing motherfucking PINK NIKE TENNIS SHOES in the middle of the state senate.
She also has to continue talking about the topic. She sent out tweets an other messages last night asking for anyone and everyone’s abortion story, and received a shit load of answers. Her staff is still collecting them, and she’s reading them aloud to the senate. Not only is she making this bill impossible to pass, she may just change some minds while she’s at it.
This is history, guys. Wendy Davis is a motherfucking badass, and we are watching it happen.
She’s putting on for my state and city! Yehyuh!
holy smokes, that is badass
Texas State Senator Wendy Davis (D-SD 10) filibusters SB5, a bill that would ban all abortions in Texas after 20 weeks and close all but 5 abortion clinics in the state of Texas.
∆ Zadie Smith | Novelist, Essayist, Short Story Writer, Editor…
Zadie Smith’s 10 Rules of Writing
- When still a child, make sure you read a lot of books. Spend more time doing this than anything else.
- When an adult, try to read your own work as a stranger would read it, or even better, as an enemy would.
- Don’t romanticise your ‘vocation’. You can either write good sentences or you can’t. There is no ‘writer’s lifestyle’. All that matters is what you leave on the page.
- Avoid your weaknesses. But do this without telling yourself that the things you can’t do aren’t worth doing. Don’t mask self-doubt with contempt.
- Leave a decent space of time between writing something and editing it.
- Avoid cliques, gangs, groups. The presence of a crowd won’t make your writing any better than it is.
- Work on a computer that is disconnected from the internet.
- Protect the time and space in which you write. Keep everybody away from it, even the people who are most important to you.
- Don’t confuse honours with achievement.
- Tell the truth through whichever veil comes to hand — but tell it. Resign yourself to the lifelong sadness that comes from never being satisfied.